Monday, November 21, 2011

Tis The Season

At this time last year, I was in full holiday mode. I was working in retail and had by Black Friday already had just about enough sleigh bells jingling, ring ting tingling too. I mean, songs about snow only go so far in 80 degree weather, bless our Houston hearts, and we had been having 'holiday' meetings since the week after Labor Day. The store was decked out, the music had changed, and I was well aware that once I'd worked 12 hours on Black Friday the rest of the calendar year would be a blur. Oh I knew what time it was.
This year, to God be the great glory, I've mercifully got a job that ramps down for the 'holiday' season. And, to be honest, it has slipped up on me. It feels like just a few weeks ago that summer was ending and kids were going back to school. I'd like to interject here that I think that this would feel very differently if the weather had actually changed since Labor Day, again, bless our Houston hearts. Anyway, all of a sudden, it's Turkey Day. Like this week. What in the world?
I find that I've got some catching up to do if I'm ever going to be prepared to celebrate the coming of the King.
One of the things that has helped me focus other years - especially those years when I was working in the big fat middle of the American retail machine - is the info and videos put out by Advent Conspiracy. The crux is: Jesus told us in Matthew 25 exactly what He would like from us as birthday gifts.
"If you'll give thirsty people water, it's like giving it to Me."
The AC people have summed it up this way: [Worship Fully] [Spend Less] [Give More] [Love All]
I'll be intentionally  thinking on how I can best honor Jesus in celebration of His birth this year. Join me? Christmas can [still] change the world.

Nat West



*Be watching for an Advent Conspiracy video on Wednesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment