Monday, January 30, 2012

It's All New to Me

I’m not really a resolution-maker. Maybe it’s because I want to be ahead of the curve when it comes to breaking them. Maybe it has more to do with my short-sightedness. Whatever it is, I’ve not ever really sat down on the 31st of December to envision how I would fill the following 365 days. This year, though, I started out the year hearing a sermon based on Micah 6:8.

He has told you, O man, what is good; And what does the LORD require of you but to do justice,
to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God?

I really want to know what this looks like. Today. In America.
How does one do justice?
What, exactly, would it look like in my everyday existence to love kindness (mercy in some translations)?
And that last one just flat scares me to death. I’ve got the faintest idea of what humility might look like and I am not sure that I could find any of it in my day-to-day if I searched with both hands.
He has indeed told us what is good. We know. We know that we’ve gone off the rails somewhere. It
does not ring true to us either when we say that we believe the whole of the Gospel message, but find ourselves living in a world where there are more people in slavery than at any other point in human history. Where tens of thousands of children die everyday from preventable causes like hunger. And, according to Micah, it is armed with what we know to be good that we are required to act.
I don’t know what it will look like.
I might have given up by March.
But I want to spend 2012 with the verbs.
Do.
Love.
Walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment